Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy
Thanks very much for all those residents who attended one of the project open houses March 13-14, 2019 or completed a survey. The online survey is now closed.
The project team is now summarizing the open house and survey results. Input collected will be added to what has already been heard from community stakeholders and will be used to refine options and recommendations for the Strategy. The final project report is due for completion in May 2019.
The Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley are undertaking the development of a Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy to explore opportunities to improve community mobility.
In particular, the Strategy will focus on potential solutions to meet the transportation needs of people with limited options, including youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income. The two communities are identifying the feasibility of providing an improved transportation service within the Towns as well as to neighbouring communities.
The initiative is being funded in part by a grant from the GreenTRIP – Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. The project is being guided by a Steering Committee made up of Councillors, staff and residents of both Towns. The participating communities have hired Watt Consulting Group (i.e., the consultant team) to undertake the public transit planning and implementation strategy.
More About the Project: Objectives and Timeline
The overall objectives of the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Public Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy are to:
- Understand the need for public transit for residents of the two Towns, with a focus on youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income.
- Summarize resident transportation needs and opportunities for each community and across the region.
- Determine how connections to key local and regional destinations can be delivered, coordinated and optimized as effectively as possible for these population groups and others who may have less access to transportation, as well as create viable transportation option to private automobiles.
- Develop and deliver a final transit plan report by May 2019 that describes potential service types, options and associated cost and performance projections to assist decision makers in moving forward on improved mobility where feasible.
- Provide an implementation strategy outlining the development of public transit, accompanied with recommendations on the supporting operational aspects required to make the public transit service sustainable, such as operating models, governance structures, fleet coordination, monitoring, marketing, fares and policies.
Have questions about the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy? Contact the project team:
- Email: BDTVTransitStrategy@wattconsultinggroup.com
- Phone: 403-273-9001, Ext. 434.
- Mail: Black Diamond Turner Valley Transit Strategy
Watt Consulting Group
310-3016 5 Avenue N.E.
Calgary, AB T2A 6K4